Day 1
March 17th
8:45 AM
I enter the building. Right off the bat (Lame cliché) I meet a whole bunch of the Rethink team. Everyone is full of smiles and the office is already alive with the sounds of keyboards clacking and people’s morning conversations.
It’s a far cry from milking cows back in Langley and a big leap for a boy who grew up playing in salamander filled swamps. Here, the white walls are decorated with plastic deer heads, bits of stoves and other assortments. Except in one corner where a scenic picture of trees in fall, surrounded by a calming mist, replaces the white. My desk is very near this area and already the office feels a little like home. (Reading this paragraph over again, I said “here, the white walls…” which sounds like I’m implying I’ve seen my fair share of white walled insane asylums. I mean that most places are bleak, this places has life)
I have my own desk and my own computer. Its centered right within the account services team. Beside my little cubicle is Louise’s. She was the BCIT intern last year and her advice and cheerfulness has helped bridge the gap between BCIT and the working world.
I even have a little phone, which so far has not rung, and a nametag on my computer. Although, the easy peel off label is a subtle reminder I am highly replaceable)
10:29 AM
I have been flipping through Rethink’s “what we believe” book. It’s a guide to how they do business, containing their internal policies and a write up about their culture. This company’s goal is simply to do great work. Most businesses say this, or think they do this, but these guys and gals are serious. They really do ‘Rethink’ the whole process. A lot of their basic rules involve not doing what a typical agency would do. I think this guide will be a lot of help to someone like me who is taking a crash course in the lifestyle of creative agencies.
One example is that they don’t believe in time sheets. In Rethink’s opinion you waste so much time filling out sheets that end up being pretty inaccurate that the agency saves both themselves and the client just making honest predictions about the time it will take. Occasionally they eat a little bit of the cost if they go over, but more often than not they save more than that much time not filling out these sheets.
Another example is that they don’t believe in stuffy, uptight meetings. Everyone is casual (dressed nicely but comfortably). There isn’t food and drinks sprawled out everywhere and nor does Rethink try to schmooze anyone. Its nice seeing a company that isn’t trying to pull a veil over the clients eyes with stupid inane tricks.
The Diary of An Intern: Day 1
Posted on
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment